Sunday, June 3, 2012

Homemade Hot Pockets


Today I thought I would try my hand at some homemade Hot Pockets.  I would suggest if you have a teenager in the house that you plan to double this recipe.  I found that the recipe made 12 and after lunch only 5 remained to freeze for snacks.


Plan about an hour for prep, cook, and clean up. No waiting on dough to rise.  Hint:  I clean up while I cook so I can sit down and enjoy with my family when they are done and not come back to a mess.

Things that I like about this recipe:

v    Freezable – let cool completely, freeze, reheat in microwave for about 2 minutes
v    Teenager approved – Trey told me that one-day I would be on HGTV!
v    Inexpensive – don’t forget to watch for sales and coupons for your fillers
v    Great way to “hide” leftovers . . . I am thinking of making some with chicken, broccoli and cheese.

Recipe for Homemade Hot Pockets:

Dough Pocket:
Dissolve 3 packages of active dry yeast in 1 cup of warm milk
Mix in 3 ½ Tablespoons sugar and 1-teaspoon salt
Gradually add in 3 cups of flour

Filling:
Use your imagination
Example: Ham and Cheese or Pepperoni, Cheese, and Spaghetti Sauce

Mix until dough pulls away from side of bowl and continue to kneed for about 5 minutes.  Divide dough into 12 pieces and roll into a ball.  Using a rolling pin, roll into rectangles.  Put filling on ½ of the rectangle and then fold other half over and pinch all sides together securely so no filling comes out during backing.
Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

Please let me know if you try it and how it works out for you and also if you come up with a good variation.

No comments:

Post a Comment