Saturday, June 16, 2012

Opportunity Knocks


“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” – Thomas Edison

I like this quote because often the harder you have to work for something the more value it has. Marriage takes work.  Managing your home takes work.  Making money takes work.

Each of us have different things that come easy for us and other things that don’t come quite as easy or are just down right difficult.  For me, schoolwork came easily.  In fact, I was told in high school that I would have been a nerd if I didn’t play basketball.  However, when it came to driving this wasn’t the case for me, in fact, I failed my driving test twice.  I didn’t quit just because it was difficult for me.  The freedom that a driver’s license brings to a teenager is an easy goal to work for.  What about the things that are difficult when the result doesn’t bring immediate gratification?  I was helping Trey with Geometry homework the other day and there is no immediate teenage gratification for acing a Geometry test in the same way there is for getting a license.  On a sunny spring day when all you want to do is go outside and all your friends are texting you, how do you sit at a desk and work Geometry problems? 

A favorite quote for our family is “If it were easy, every one would do it!”  We have been saying that a lot around here as Nate furthers his education.  If you are chasing after a dream and it gets difficult, now is not the time to give up! 


No comments:

Post a Comment