Saturday, May 26, 2012

Family


I don’t have what some would refer to as the traditional family.  I live with my loving husband Nate and my wonderful stepson Trey.  My stepson Myles, stepdaughter Brittany and son-in-law Brandon live miles away.  We are not the dad and mom, with 2.5 kids.  We don’t have a white picket fence around our yard but we have two dogs that do their best to terrorize the neighbors!  Although not traditional, I would not trade my family for anything!

While making dinner tonight, Trey told me that homemade is “the imperfect perfection”.  It doesn’t always look like what you would find in a high quality restaurant but it sure tastes like something that you can’t get anywhere else.

People look for family in all different places and once again I go back to that thought about homemade.  Yes, family is that imperfect perfection.  Would we choose all the members of our own families?  I would guess that most would answer that question as no.  However, as imperfect as each member might be (including ourselves) there is something so comforting about being surrounded by those you love.  Our families share our greatest joys and our deepest sadness.  They know our greatest triumphs and our most devastating failures.  Yet somehow love us through it all. 

So where did the idea of family come from?  I believe that it formed in the heart of God, our loving Father.  God who loved us enough to know that we would mess it up and yet still wanted us to experience the joy that comes from having children.  God who knew that it was not good for man to be alone and He wanted man to have the companionship of a woman made just for him.  


2 comments:

  1. What did you cook for dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We fired up the grill for some smoked sausage grillers and completed it with homemade potato salad. I love summer cooking and picnics! Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day Weekend as we celebrate those who gave their all to protect our freedoms!

    ReplyDelete